Friday, April 13, 2012

Kelly's Living Catholic Stewardship Article - Lenten Drive

Kelly's 
Living Catholic Stewardship
Our Peace & Justice Committee's work on the Lenten Efforts 

Years ago, while working full-time as a social worker and raising my children, I was feeling a little guilty because I wasn't involved in any volunteer work.  I had volunteered since I was a child, and I noticed the absence.  I brought it up during Reconciliation – admittedly hoping that Fr. Jim would give me a "pass" because I worked in a helping profession. 


But he didn't let me off the hook that easily!  He challenged me to find a volunteer opportunity that would fit with my interests and busy schedule.  And I knew he was right.


It's so easy to say "I'm too busy".  But don't we find the time to spend an hour (or several) in front of the TV?  How many hours disappear with Facebook and Angry Birds? 


Because I'm passionate about social justice and Catholic Social Teaching, the St. Francis Peace & Justice Committee seemed like a good fit.  I think I attended meetings for about six months before I spoke more than a few words!  But the group was welcoming, and eventually I jumped in and volunteered to coordinate the Special Collections.


Fast-forward about six years and now I'm a co-chair of the Peace & Justice Committee and coordinator of our recent Lenten project.  I worked with the wonderful folks at Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County … and what do I have to show for it?  The amazing generosity of this parish raised over $10,000 to support the critical work that CSSW performs for the most vulnerable in our community.  That's a pretty big pay-off for a few hours of my time!


On Holy Thursday, we were reminded that WE are the hands of Christ in the world.  So if we say "I'm too busy" and do nothing to help those in need, where do they encounter Christ? 


The Peace & Justice Committee coordinates many events:   the recent Homelessness Highlight event; the annual Martin Luther King Jr. mass and supper; Going South (rebuilding in New Orleans); fundraising and advocacy work for issues as diverse as immigration, fighting human trafficking, workers' rights, care for creation, etc.  Our projects encompass anything that falls under the very broad umbrella of Catholic Social Teaching.


Here at St. Francis we are blessed with so many opportunities to participate; to be Christ's hands.  Please consider taking part, whether it's in a small supporting role or as a leader on important projects.  We welcome fresh perspectives and enthusiasm.  And the need for new leaders is real – if leadership is lacking, important ministries face a risk of disappearing from our parish.


Our next Peace & Justice Committee meeting is Monday, May 7 at 7:30 pm in the St. Francis School Library.  You are welcome to join us for conversation, celebration, contemplation, and cookies.  By mid-May we aim to name at least two new people to support the Committee's efforts.  Will you be one to serve during this next year?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: