Monday, November 9, 2009

Catholic Social Teaching Theme: 
Option for the Poor and Vulnerable Catholic Church Teaching on 
WHO ARE THE POOR?
Option for the Poor and Vulnerable
(Articles In the bulletin FORUM on: 2009-11-08.)


Catholic Social Teaching Theme: 
WHO ARE THE POOR?
Option for the Poor and Vulnerable
In this era of rapid, 24/7 communication, we become increasingly aware of extreme poverty throughout the world, including in our own country.  Our hearts are touched and we try to help, yet often we feel overwhelmed.
In his latest Encyclical, Benedict XVI counsels: 
One of the deepest forms of poverty a person can experience is isolation.  If we look at other kinds of poverty, including material forms, we see that they are born from isolation, from not being loved or from difficulties in being able to love. (Caritas in Veritate, 53).
Does his statement define poverty in a new way for us?  Who are the isolated in our country? our state? our city? our neighborhoods? our parish?  How might I reach out to them in love? 
And we ask ourselves: Have I become isolated?  Since I’ve lost my job? fallen into debt? moved to this area? become ill?  Since I’ve felt like a failure?  How might I let myself be touched by the love of my neighbor? of my fellow parishioners? of my family and friends?
In my prayer today, I ask the Lord to open my heart to respond to the face of Jesus in those who are isolated and to be open to his love when I am that person.
By the St. Francis Parish Peace and Justice Committee

No comments: